Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:30:41 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Peter Wyatt <peterwyatt59@gmail.com>,  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 18:00:59 +0800
>
> Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think there is another volunteer who is providing 32-bit builds.
> >
> >   https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
>
> Since Eli's making them, why aren't they on ftp.gnu.org? Wouldn't it be
> convenient to just put them there?

Because I cannot be bothered, and because all my other ports are on
that site, so people can download the dependency libraries they want
from the same place.

> >   A 32-bit Windows build of GNU Emacs version 28.2.  The MS-Windows
> >   binaries of Emacs available from the GNU FTP site include only a
> >   64-bit build, and cannot run on Windows before Windows 7.  This
> >   32-bit build runs on Windows XP and later, and is supposed to be
> >   able to run on Windows 9X as well (but was not actually tested
> >   there).
>
> Though YMMV running this on Windows 9x if it was not built with unexec
> dumping.

This port was built with pdumper, not unexec.  We need to finish
debugging the problems you found with pdumper on Windows 9X some day.
(Thus the caveat in the README.)