Re: Highlighting parentheses when matching parentheses resides outside v

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Highlighting parentheses when matching parentheses resides outside visible window
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 05:46:02 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, October 27th, 2022 at 5:16 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 19:14:57 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > It's a rarely-needed functionality, for the purpose for which
> > > show-paren-mode was designed.
> >
> > There are many function longer than the height of a normal emacs
> > window.
>

> show-paren-mode is not for highlighting functions, as its name and
> documentation makes clear.
>
> > Thusly I fail to conclude that it is a rarely-needed functionality.
> > Because the show-paren-mode functionality fails when the window is
> > small or the function is long, technically it should be considered a
> > bug.

Suppose you are using expression style.  Suppose you want to see if the
last parenthesis matches the one before defun.  Or you have long clauses
(let, if, when, unless).

> It isn't a bug, since show-paren-mode is not supposed to provide what
> you want. Other packages do, so I suggest that you find one that
> suits your needs and install it.

Isn't it supposed to show you the paired parenthesis getting highlighted???

DOCSTING
"Toggle visualization of matching parens".  How can one visualise a matching
parens if the matching parens is not viewable in the window?

"show-paren-mode" should be upgraded, so that we would not need to find another
one which is not built-in.  At any rate, finding another one would make
"show-paren-mode" obsolete.