Re: sql-postgres connect using URL

From: Rob Sargent
Subject: Re: sql-postgres connect using URL
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:45:32 -0600

On 10/27/22 22:11, Jean Louis wrote:
* Rob Sargent<rsargent@xmission.com>  [2022-10-28 04:56]:
Yeah, that follows the expected pattern and my usual usage but I need to use
the URL style connection string.  I don't believe the command line args
include keepalives*
I do not think that type of URL style connection string relates to
Emacs Lisp sql-postgres.  It uses `psql' client.

How sure are you that such string should work?

Another issue about keepalives is that such are configured by server
and not by client in PostgreSQL.

See manual page of `psql': (man "psql") -- I can't find any reference
to keepalives there.

Your URL based keepalives most probably relate to some client in other
programming language; not to server.

This clearly works from the command line:

   psql
postgresql://postgres@csgsdb/postgres?&keepalives_idle=60&keepalives_interval=30&keepalives_count=10

I do get connected to the database, at least.  I'll have to wait for the time out to NOT happen :). Meanwhile I'm connecting with emacs in the usual way, then once connected I issue a

   \c host=hostname user=rolename keepalives_idle=60
   keepalives_interval=30 keepalives_count=10

and the timeouts seem to have gone away