Re: Not reloading the desktop; already loaded

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Not reloading the desktop; already loaded
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 08:48:26 +0300

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:27:12 -0800
> From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
>
> > I assume yours is an interactive (i.e., no "--batch") session, so the
> > condition that applies in your case is the one about the "owner" of
> > the desktop file.  So the problem is that the desktop file was (of
> > course) written by the same Emacs process as the current one, and you
> > need to work around that.  One way is to override the definition of
> > desktop-owner.
> How would I do that? (feel free to point to documentation and I will
> also search
> on your last phrase)

The simplest way is to define your own version of that function that
is similar, but not identical.  A less brute-force way is to "advise"
the function; see the node "Advising Functions" in the ELisp manual.

> >    Another way is to release the desktop file lock before
> > you load the second one, and then re-lock it afterwards.
> Again: how would I do that?

Look at the functions in desktop.el which do that: desktop-claim-lock
and desktop-release-lock.  You can call them from your code.

> >   And there
> > are probably others.
> Sure, such as use elisp instead of bash to delete the file lock ...

Deleting the lock is not something I'd recommend.  It is there for a
reason.