Calling a function with undefined symbol

From: Heime
Subject: Calling a function with undefined symbol
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 08:15:32 +0000

Have written a function named "mbcomplt" that takes a symbol.

(defun mbcomplt (sgnl)
  "DOC."

(if (eq sgnl 'go)
    (message "go")
  (message "nogo")))

I can call this function with

(mbcomplt 'go)

This even though the symbol "'go" does not exist.  What is happening here?

My understanding about symbols is that I can make a symbol using

(defvar seqr 3)  ; set symbol seqr with value 3
(setq seqr 5)    ; set symbol seqr with value 5

(symbol-value 'seqr) ; get value of symbol (returns 5)
(symbol-name 'seqr)  ; get name of symbol (returns "seqr")