Re: Calling a function with undefined symbol

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Calling a function with undefined symbol
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 17:40:37 +0100

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

> >   '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''...
>
> i.e.,
>
> (defconst x #1=(quote #1#))
>
> right?

Yep.  Or #1='#1#.  What strange things we can have in Elisp!

> > i.e. a value that is a quoted thing where the thing is the same value
> > again (such a value exists in Elisp!) - what would evaluating
> >
> >   (eq 'x x)
> >   (equal 'x x)
>
> nil: you are comparing a symbol 'x' with a circular list
> (quote (quote ...))
>
> what you probably meant was [...]

No, I really meant what I wrote.  It was intended as that simple
question.

Symbols are values in Elisp, expressions can eval to symbols.  That's
what Stefan was talking about.

The exercise's goal was to recognize that `'x` evals to a symbol, which
is something entirely different than adding another quote to that
strange `'''....` value (which is not a symbol in any case).  If you
have understood that the first value is a symbol, it's easy to give the
intended answers: two times "no".

Michael.