Re: Eager macro-expansion failure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Eager macro-expansion failure
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 15:49:03 +0200

> From: Evan Aad <oddeveneven@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:12:43 +0200
>
> There is no init file in any of the locations mentioned in the first
> paragraph of the following article:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html
> or in the second and third paragraphs of the following article:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Find-Init.html
>
> In other words, there is no file named ~/.emacs, ~/.emacs.el,
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el, ~/.config/emacs/init.el

I'm talking about site-init files, not your user-specific init files
(which you said you didn't have).

If there's a difference between "emacs -Q" and just "emacs", there
_must_ be some init file involved, and if you don't have user init
files, then there _must_ be some site-init file.

You need to examine your Emacs installation and the documentation of
the distro you use to find out where to look for these files.  Or,
failing that, tell here which distro you use, and someone will
probably be able to tell you where to look for site-init files.

> Furthermore, my user-emacs-directory variable is set to ~/.emacs.d/
> and there is no file named .emacs, .emacs.el, init.el, default.el or
> site-start.el under this directory nor under the directories ~/ and
> ~/.config
>
> Moreover, in the directory /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp there is
> just a single item: a directory named libidn/ and inside it there are
> just two items, named idna.el and punycode.el
>
> Could there be an init file somewhere else?

Yes.

> If so, is there an easy way to find it? The value of my load-path
> variable is very long. It would be very tedious to visit every
> directory listed there manually, and I'm not savvy enough to write
> code to automate this task.

Look for files named default.el or site-start.el in any of the
load-path directories.  A good starting point is in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.