Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 12:49:54 -1000

My initial suspicions about the cause were wrong, but I've
traced further and developed a patch that works for me. I'm
getting a bit more testing done and if it pans out I'll submit
it to the emacs-w3m maintainers.

To summarize: sites which use "brotli" compression don't work;
others do. There is no brotli handler in w3m.el, so I added
one, and that did the trick.

Why does w3m command line render fine? Because none of the
"dump" options are used. w3m.el uses dump options.

Why is everything fine for some users but not others?  While
I'm not sure, on most of my systems I have the latest w3m
(command line) version, and I have trouble.  On another system
I have a release that's a few years older, and that one
works. This would explain why what used to work for me on Arch
quit working one day.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i