Re: Elisp Reference Manual on inserting tables

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Elisp Reference Manual on inserting tables
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:23:08 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2022-11-06 23:50]:
> Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:
>
> > As I was talking about making tables from elisp, I though there should
> > be something in the Elisp Manual as well.  Or perhaps in the Elisp
> > Tutorial?
>
> Emacs doesn't have a simple function to format simple text tables
> built-in (so there is nothing to document).  I wrote my own one some
> time ago, maybe it is of help:

There are nice concept to think about in tbl.el

I would use list of lists for table elements. I consider it common
that some columns need to be added as total and some columns need to
be aligned. Then parsing all cells of the table could find the maximum
width of some columns, and make sure of formatting.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman