Re: rcd-box.el for box drawings and tables

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: rcd-box.el for box drawings and tables
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:02:34 +0300

* Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> [2022-11-09 18:50]:
> On the screen reader I use, this message only spoke the text that was in
> the table.  That for screen reader users is especially useless since yes
> there's a table but what is where in that table?  The relationship data
> gets stripped in this form.

Is the screen reader software in Emacs?

Or you read e-mails by some other software?

Is it free software?

In case that screen reader is software in Emacs, there would be way to
improve it to avoid reading some characters.

Emacs has those hidden text properties, one can see what it is by
evaluating (buffer-string) so in my opinion, there is way to save the
whole Emacs buffer with text properties, and transfer such to other
person. I know it is not really what we do in practice, but that way
one could transfer also text properties which say "this char is part
of table" and would indicate to screen reader running within Emacs
that such char shall not be read by screen reader.

Then each cell could have it's text property in Emacs buffer. In that
case the spreadsheet with text properties would then be "readable" by
screen reader. Condition is that screen reader knows how to read
tables.

Screenreader could then say something like "Cell A1 with value US
$87.42". Or it could say "Moved to cell A2" or "Moved to cell B3 from
A3".

That makes sense to me.

Sadly we do not have software that generally cooperates with each
other in such way as to provide accessibility to blind.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman