Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:43:23 +0100

>>>   <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 09:03:25AM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems that more and more public repositories expect that the
>>

>> However, the following steps in emacs lead to a git repository, where
>> the principal branch is master instead of main.

> You can change the master branch name to main with

>   git branch -m master main

> (think "move"). It is polite to coordinate with other people who
> might have cloned your repo :)

Yeah, I find this all a bit messy to be honest. I'd prefer there would
be a common standard [1]

> To change the default at git init

>   git config --global init.defaultBranch main

> (git >= 2.28)

Oh I am still using 2.7.2 oh and also the command does not return error
it also does not work... time to upgrade!?

Uwe
> Cheers

Footnotes:
[1] (no flamewar, but mercurial called its principal branch default
     right from the beginning, although I did not like the name, I do
     appreciate it now)

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.