Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master

From: tomas
Subject: Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:22:07 +0100

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 09:43:23AM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > (think "move"). It is polite to coordinate with other people who
> > might have cloned your repo :)
>
> Yeah, I find this all a bit messy to be honest. I'd prefer there would
> be a common standard [1]

Who does get everything right from the beginning?

> > To change the default at git init
>
> >   git config --global init.defaultBranch main
>
> > (git >= 2.28)
>
> Oh I am still using 2.7.2 oh and also the command does not return error

This is expected. Git is somewhat extensible, so there's no central
wisdom about what settings make sense. The command just puts the
key/value into your personal git store. To wit:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ git config --global motor.proton.thrusters on

(no errors). Then:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ cat ~/.gitconfig
  [...]
  [motor "proton"]
          thrusters = on

See? There it is, waiting for (some sub-part) of git to pick it
up when needed.

> it also does not work... time to upgrade!?

Don't be shy. The upside of the above scheme is that your change
will take effect once you upgrade :)

Cheers