Re: Easy to add with push but not to the end of a list

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Easy to add with push but not to the end of a list
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 02:13:10 +0100

Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

> I faintly remember discussions back in the early seventies
> to replace "car" and "cdr" (which originally stood for
> "Contents of Address Register" and "Contents of Decrement
> Register", respectively

Cool B)

> and referred to machine instructions on some then modern PDP
> hardware which were used to access the two pointers of
> a cons) with "fst" and "rst" (for "first" and "rest",
> respectively) which could even be nicely combined to "frrst"
> and similar. But this proposal never made it :-(

Was that bad? I think `car' is more open and relaxed
than "fst" ...

PDP BTW,

  PDP 1957 Programmed (-able) Data Processor, Digital Equipment minis

so as old as Fortran (1957) and older than Lisp (1958).

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/COMP-HIST

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal