RE: [External] : Make new buffer from menu

From: Heime
Subject: RE: [External] : Make new buffer from menu
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:43:40 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, December 3rd, 2022 at 5:20 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
wrote:

> > It would help me a lot if can can make a new
> > buffer that I can set with some major mode,
> > from the menu.
>

> What menu is "the menu"?
>
> > One cannot make a new buffer without saving it.
>

> If you mean a menu-bar menu, then menu `Buffers', item` Select Named Buffer'
> puts you in a new
> buffer. You can choose whatever mode you want
> for it.

Yes, from the File Menu in the Menu Bar.  I want to make a new file in a new
buffer
without saving yet.

> And that menu item has `C-x b' next to it, to tell you that you can use that
> shortcut. What's maybe not 100% clear is that "select named buffer" isn't
> only about selecting an existing, i.e., already named, buffer. It's also
> about a new buffer, whose name is new - your invention. And the Emacs manual,
> node` Select Buffer' tells
> you all about `C-x b' and other commands.
> ___
>
> <unsolicited-advice>

The problem with Unsolicited Advice is that it is customarily useless.

> You'd do well (help yourself) to learn how to
> better "ask Emacs", rather than jumping to
> conclusions such as "One cannot make a new
> buffer without saving it."

Using Emacs is like working on ice.   It is extremely dangerous.  Can
you imagine landing on a runway that is technically floating, unstable,
and unpredictable.

> Rather, maybe assume that you're not the first
> user to think of the usefulness of making a new
> buffer without saving it, and suppose that maybe
> Emacs is already providing you with a way to do
> what you are quick to claim "cannot" be done.

An ice strip on a frozen lake can be hard to spot from the air.
We need some proper markers.  "Select Named Buffer" is not a proper
marker.  If we cannot see how far the ground is away, we need a good
reference.  Forget about the "Ask Emacs" mantra.