RE: [External] : Make new buffer from menu

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: RE: [External] : Make new buffer from menu
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 12:55:23 +0100

Heime,

On Saturday, 2022-12-03 18:43:40 +0000, you wrote:

> The problem with Unsolicited Advice is that it is customarily useless.

Most probably this is as well an  "Unsolicited Advice" according to your
above definition.  But anyway:

> Using Emacs is like working on ice.   It is extremely dangerous.

According to my _personal_ experience it's not more dangerous than driv-
ing a car.   Your milage may vary.   But in any case  you are not at all
required to use  an editor you classify  as dangerous.  There are plenty
of others around.   I personally would never drive a Porsche,  because I
simply do not want to drive that fast, thus making the Porsches's horse-
powers a total waste ...

And to stretch this example just a bit more:  you do not learn driving a
car by perpetually asking questions,  you learn it by  supervised doing.
Here the supervision is necessary  due to the real danger  of driving on
public roads.   But making blunders using Emacs is not dangerous at all,
provided you don't try something out using valuable data.   Use a backup
copy,  a test file or the "*scratch*" buffer to try your ideas.   But in
any case remember  what the acronym  "RTFM" means  before you send occa-
sionally very imprecise questions,  assumptions or  allegations  to hun-
dreds of mailboxes.   Get yourself acquainted  with Emacs' documentation
(it isn't that bad after a while,  or at least I've seen plenty of worse
product manuals).

Sincerely,
  Rainer