Re: Inserting at particular buffer position

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: Re: Inserting at particular buffer position
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 16:52:00 +0100

On Sunday, 2022-12-04 16:21:41 +0300, Jean Louis wrote:

> * Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-04 04:14]:
> > The function "insert", inserts characters into the current buffer,
> > at point, moving point forward.  But how can I insert at a
> > particular position (row column).
>
> I have Deja Vu.
>
> (defun goto-x-y (x y)
>   "Goto to line X, char Y."
>   (goto-line x)
>   (goto-char (point-at-bol))
>   (forward-char y))

Heime,

a week or so ago  you flabbergasted me  (and probably others)  with your
claim that programming  is neither engineering  nor science,  but rather
sports.   This claim made me gasp at first,  but gradually  I am getting
your point.  While what makes up the Art of Programming can be looked-up
in Donald Knuth's book,  what makes up the  Sports of Programming can be
looked-up in your mails: just stubbornly nag  people with sometimes very
imprecise questions,  assumptions  and allegations,  and sooner or later
good-natured people like Jean Louis and plenty of others  fall victim to
your tactics and start writing you the programmes you need.

You have meanwhile got so many code snippets to solve your problems that
with a little additional manual reading, thinking,  testing and adapting
your programme(s) should almost be working.

I take this as a Proof of Concept that programming is sports.  Congratu-
lations :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer