What are trampolines?

From: Alessandro Bertulli
Subject: What are trampolines?
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 14:15:47 +0100

Hi all!

This is going to be very noob-ish, I apologize.

Going to update Emacs to ver. 30, I noticed in the AUR build script the
optional make target `trampolines'. The script documented them as
"Compile jitted elisp files with trampolines.", and allowed that target
to be built only if native compilation is on as well.

It's not clear to me what does it mean (particularly the documentation
string). What are trampolines? A quick Google-fu told me it's a
functional programming idiom related to continuation-passing-computation
(à la call/cc in Scheme). Does this mean is it something specific to
Elisp? But why do they need to be enabled at configuration time?

Thanks!
--
Alessandro Bertulli