Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference card

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference card
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 07:01:46 +0100

On 2022-12-08, at 20:54, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am learning Emacs, so please be patient with my basic questions.
>
> I started to read the manual on a daily basis.

Congratulations, this is a very good idea, and a big undertaking!

> I would like to make some reference card like the Emacs reference card
> for Emacs keybindings.
>
> I was looking on the web to find something and watched some videos, but
> I didn't find anything yet.
> Does somebody know some websites or videos on you tube?
> It's about formatting text, after or before I start to write text.
>
> 1. I guess I have first to set up the right environment.
> e.g. very small letters (how to do that?)
>
> 2. which mode should I choose?
>
> 3. I guess I have to create a rectangle with several columns
> and enlarge it to the whole buffer / sheet
>
> 4. Then I have to enter text
>
> 5. How to do the formatting of the text?
>    e.g which minor mode?
>    e.g headings in bigger letters on the first line

The Emacs reference card is written in TeX.  Actually, in plain TeX, but
LaTeX is also well suited for that.

If you know (La)TeX already, you should know (more or less) what to do.
You can look up the file `etc/refcards/refcard.tex' in Emacs source code
(but if you prefer LaTeX over plain TeX, better not).  You might want to
use the `cheatsheet' LaTeX class (https://ctan.org/pkg/cheatsheet;
I haven't used that, it's just the result of me looking up CTAN.)

If you don't know (La)TeX, don't.  Just don't.  (And I say that as the
author of a LaTeX textbook and a long-time fan of all things TeX.)  It's
a huge rabbit hole you probably don't need right now.

> Is there a better way?

Yes.  Use Anki or some other spaced repetition software
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition) to memorize the most
important stuff.  (There are at least 2 SR tools available in Emacs –
more precisely, in Org mode.)  Alternatively, use an Org file and don't
bother with exporting to print it.

Also, start small.  Write down a keybinding you think you would find
useful.  Make yourself use it at least once-twice per day, for a few
days.  Then do it with another one.  Rinse and repeat.

Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help.  Start with `C-h C-h'.
Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc.
Consider installing the `helpful' package.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl