Re: The next exercise

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: The next exercise
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 19:44:39 +0000

Hello,

my exercise for today is something I stumbled across a few days ago but that is very nice: Answer with only using Emacs (or maybe your school knowledge?):

The first three decimal digits (from the left) of 1001^1000 - i.e. one thousand and one to the one thousand's power,

 1001*1001*...*1001
 \________________/
         ^
    1000 factors

are of course:

(a) 2 7 1, the first three digits of Euler's number e

(b) 3 1 4, the first three digits of the mathematical constant pi

(c) 1 0 0, or

(d) none of these

What's your choice? How would you solve this using Emacs (or maybe even without)?

M-: (substring (number-to-string (expt 1001 1000)) 0 3) RET

"271"