RE: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs refe

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 22:24:32 +0000

> > Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help.  Start with `C-h C-h'.

Hear!  Hear!

> > Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc...
>
> In emacs there is information about keybindings.
> So I don't understand what would be helpful to
> install packages like `which-key', `guide-key' etc.

I'll add `keysee.el' to that mix.

With vanilla Emacs, you're right, you can get info
about a given key binding (`C-h k').  And you can
get info about (most) prefix keys, by hitting the
prefix key and then hitting `C-h' (e.g. `C-h C-h').
And with recent Emacs releases (or with `help-fns+.el',
from which the vanilla feature was taken), you can
get info about any keymap - all of its key bindings.

Each of those help outputs is static: you ask for
info about some one thing and you get it.

The non-vanilla libraries mentioned above go beyond
this by providing _incremental_, on-the-fly info
about the keys that are currently available (e.g.
in the current set of modes), and what each key does.

For a key sequence that involves one or more prefix
keys (e.g. `C-x' or `C-x 4'), you can type the prefix
key(s) and see the possible completions - e.g. use
`C-x' and see completions $, ', (, ), *, +, -, ., 0
etc., ;, <, >, C-+, C--, C-0, C-;, C-=, C-@, C-SPC,...

For a top-level key sequence, i.e., before you hit
any key, some of these libraries show you all possible
keys you can use currently.

Some of them can include menus & their items as "keys".

Some of them let you drill down, up, and across, to
explore the entire key-sequence (and menu) forest.

Some of them let you sort completions (on the fly), to
show locally bound keys first, or prefix keys first, or
keys and their commands ordered by command name, or...

Some of them let you hit more keys to complete more
(perhaps completely).  Others let you type text to
match key or command names, to get the completions.
___

`keysee.el' is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee

The code is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/keysee.el

Key See needs also library `sortie.el', which is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sortie

The code is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/sortie.el
___

The first library to provide key completion was
Icicles - a little over 15 years ago!  The key
completion of Key See is based on that of Icicles
(without Icicles matching).