Re: `cl-macs' [was: about keysee]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `cl-macs' [was: about keysee]
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:35:03 -0500

> Why should using `keysee' require you to also add
> `cl-lib' to your session?  That's overreach.  I'd

Requiring `cl-macs` won't help you there, because the first thing
`cl-macs` does is (require 'cl-lib).  Instead you want

    (eval-when-compile (require 'cl-lib))

> [Plus, things have changed in `cl*' world over the
> years.  What's there, and where, for older Emacs
> can differ from what's there, and where, for more
> recent releases.  Libraries that are usable with
> multiple releases don't necessarily follow a "do
> this" injunction that makes sense only for some
> later releases.]

That's exactly why you should require `cl-lib` rather than `cl-macs`:
because things can move between the different files of `cl-lib`.

        Stefan