Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:55:09 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, December 12th, 2022 at 10:50 AM, Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2022 11:20, Heime wrote:

Having worked with modus-themes, it was concluded that there exist greater
variations in possibilities with a dark background that with a light one.

> It's also factually not true that the GNU project does not care about
> readability metrics, especially now that the Modus themes are shipped
> with Emacs.
>
> > > If you want a dark background, just use a dark background theme. For
> > > instance, emacs has a built-in implementation of the tango dark color
> > > palette. If contrast if your primary concern, you should look at the
> > > modus themes (modus-vivendi for the dark background), which is also part
> > > of emacs now.

Yes, contrast is my primary concern on some packages.

> > > M-x customize-themes and make your choice.
> > > If you use "modus-vivendi" for org-mode, the colours are all almost white,
> > > a big problem particularly when you fold the org headings.
>

> I don't like dark backgrounds, but it seems perfectly readable to me.

I personally always cater for both light and dark theme.

> Anyway, from personal experience the developer of the Modus themes is
> extremely responsive. If you have a problem with his themes you should
> take it up with him.

Will let him know.  Perhaps there are some problems there he can see.

> > > That's how you end up with settings which are at best acceptable, but
> > > not perfect, for both light and dark backgrounds. The range of colors
> > > which are suitable for both light and dark backgrounds is just too narrow.
> > >
> > > The proper way is the current way: carefully curated themes implementing
> > > all colors in a consistent ways.
> >
> > What metrics are being used. The blind belief that the proper way is the
> > current way, is the origin of the problem.
>

> For one, the Modus themes were developed with quantified metrics
> (minimal contrast ratio afaik), and they are two completely different
> themes for black and light backgrounds.
>
> If you think you can do better, you are welcome to try. But if you come
> and claim that the current way is the wrong way, the burden of proof is
> on you. :)

I worked on the enhancement of modus-themes.

> > > No. The question is whether to fontify those headers, how to identify
> > > them, etc.
> > >
> > > That's completely separate from the question of changing the face
> > > currently used for headers in other places.

> > > Sorry to be blunt, but you couldn't be more wrong. For a start,
> > > outline-mode and outline-minor-mode are the same package. :)
> > >
> > > But more to the point, with the current system, packages choose existing
> > > faces to implement coloring based on what they should color (e.g. is
> > > it a comment, is it a header, is it a keyword, is it something
> > > important). And the theme designers choose colors (and other features)
> > > for those faces.
> > >
> > > As a result, colors are the same across all of Emacs (for example
> > > comments look the same in elisp and python), and -- if the theme maker
> > > is competent -- the colors will implement good contrast and be readable
> > > everywhere.
> > > One can at least use good metrics for light (white) and dark (dark)
> > > background.
> > > We have not even arrived at that yet. I am not arguing against comments
> > > looking
> > > the same, but that there should specific settings for the canonical white
> > > and
> > > black background as minimum.
>

> And I am telling you that there are.
>
> For light background: the default theme, leuven, tango, modus-operandi
>
> For dark background: the default theme with inverse-video, tango-dark,
> modus-vivendi
>

> > > If instead we were to let each package decide on its colors, Emacs would
> > > look like a Christmas tree with different colors all over the place. And
> > > most of them would be really crappy because the package developer was
> > > never trained in graphic design, or because they didn't plan for all
> > > possible background colors (it's not as simple as light and dark, some
> > > people use blue, or green backgrounds), or because they didn't predict
> > > that their choice of color would conflict with the choice made by a
> > > minor mode in another package, or...
> > > Am only discussing for white background and black background, which are
> > > the
> > > canonical settings for printing. With colour contrast you are limited by
> > > the metric values which limits to about eight colours.
> > > It is not Christmas Tree as you say. Focusing on any possible colour
> > > combination
> > > (blue, or green backgrounds) is beyond the scope of my discussion.
>

> No it's not. My point is that if you leave the responsibility of
> choosing colors to packages as opposed to themes, it will be a Christmas
> tree and there will be unpredictable combinations. It's a direct
> consequence of your idea, you can't just wave it off.
>
> It's already bad enough now with some packages defining their own faces
> without at least inheriting from the standard ones.

Right.  My focus has been to provide colours with good metrics so that
people inherit from the standard ones.

> There are currently 5330 packages on Melpa. Do you plan to contact the
> authors of all of them individually to get them to implement your
> preferred colors?

To start using actual standards.  Absolutely, they should learn more and change
their packages.

> With the current approach, on the other hand, it's very easy: report a
> bug for the theme you're using, or make your own theme if you really
> want to.
>
> > > You shouldn't think of themes as "fixing the default choices"
> > > (especially considering that you are the one "breaking" them by
> > > insisting to use them with a background they weren't designed for).
> > > Their purpose is to implement different choices in a consistent way.
> > > Good design in much more important that consistency.
>
> It's also much easier to achieve in a consistent system.

The argument is to design separately for light and also for dark background.
Emacs does have light and dark checks.