Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:20:23 -0500

> The colors of the standard themes are chosen with its (light) background in
> mind. If you change that background, it is not surprising that things fall
> apart.

Many of the basic faces come with definitions that explicitly account
for both light and dark backgrounds (e.g. changing color depending on
the case).

So if a face has poor legibility on a dark background, please report it
as a bug.  That bug won't necessarily be fixed, because there might be
other concerns (we're talking about the defaults, so this has to
satisfy many conflicting requirements :-( ), but it's still the right
thing to do.

> At any rate, Stefan's suggestion would not require making new design
> choices, as there are already faces designed for fontifying headers:
> outline-1, outline-2, etc.

And personally, I probably wouldn't use colors for those faces.
Instead I'd probably go with a proportional font with a size that
varies depending on the level.

        Stefan