Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:22:52 +0700

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 17:53, Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you use "modus-vivendi" for org-mode, the colours are all almost white,
> > a big problem particularly when you fold the org headings.
>
> I don't like dark backgrounds, but it seems perfectly readable to me.

Heime has a point. The complaint is not about *readability* of
modus-vivendi’s colors against the background. It is about
*distinction* between levels of Org headings, i.e. ability to
distinguish a level 3 heading from a level 4 just by color.

This is a nontrivial thing to solve, by the way. It’s very easy to
fall in the trap “WCAG level AAA prescribes a contrast ratio of at
least 7:1; I’ll make my primary foreground and all my accent
foreground colors exactly 7:1 against the background so all will be
readable”. Yes, but this way they are all the same luminance, and by
that token all very similar in some sense. A color-blind person might
even not be able to distinguish hues and rely on luminance alone to
tell colors apart.

As far as I can tell, WCAG does not give any guidance as to
distinction between foreground colors, except for “thou shalt not make
the user rely solely on color”.