Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:35:53 +0100

On 13/12/2022 09:30, Heime wrote:
------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, December 13th, 2022 at 8:04 AM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
wrote:

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, December 13th, 2022 at 7:52 AM, Jean Louis bugs@gnu.support wrote:

Heime, I like the idea of highlighting comments, though I do it this
way to specify (syntax comment-start) as that works for multiple
modes.

; one
;; two
;;; three
;;;; and more

;;; Highlighting comments

(setq rcd-regexp-comment (rx line-start
(one-or-more (syntax comment-start))
(one-or-more space)
(group (one-or-more not-newline))
line-end))

;; (highlight-regexp regexp nil 1)
;; (unhighlight-regexp regexp)

Jean
I would like to introduce (syntax comment-start) in place

It's not something you can "introduce" in your regexp, it only makes sense within the context of a regexp built with rx: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Rx-Notation.html

Rewriting your regexp as an rx regexp would not be too difficult if you want to go that route, Jean's example is a good template.

Otherwise, as an approximation of that feature, you could built your regex string using the value of the variable comment-start ( ";" in emacs-lisp-mode) instead of hardcoding ;; .

To be clear, the variable comment-start happens to have the same name as the symbol in (syntax comment-start), but they are not the same thing, the syntax classification can in theory be a lot smarter than simply regexp matching.