Re: user-agent is missing in sent email headers

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: user-agent is missing in sent email headers
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:08:26 -0800

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 09:07:40AM -0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> jindam.vani@disroot.org writes:
>>

> [...missing user agent header]
>
>> You're not doing anything wrong, Gnus doesn't display all headers by
>> default; what is shown is determined by the value of
>> `gnus-visible-headers'. The "t" key displays all headers, which is why
>> you see it there. If you want to always see it, you can do something
>> like:
>>
>> (setq gnus-visible-headers
>>       (concat "^User-Agent:\\|" gnus-visible-headers))
>>

> If I understand correctly, jindam is missing the User-Agent: header in
> his outgoing mail, i.e. Gnus is not putting it in the mail's headers.
>
> Looking at their mails in fact, there is no User-Agent: in the headers.
> Yours do have one.

Oops! I was confused by the Discord conversation, that made it sound
like a display issue.

jindam.vani@disroot.org writes:

>> jindam.vani@disroot.org writes:
>>
>>> please excuse, i am posting here suggested by akib
>>> on mastadon.[1] i am running emacs on debian
>>> bullseye on userland.[2] when i send mail using
>>> gnus and the "User-Agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13)
>>> Emacs/27.1 (gnu/linux)" is not added in sent
>>> email headers.
>>>
>>> when i click t in nnfolder+archive:sent.2022-12,
>>> it shows "User-Agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13)
>>> Emacs/27.1 (gnu/linux)", before it was showing
>>> only from, subject, to, date.
>>>
>>> conversation between akib and me on mastodon.[2]
>>> what am i doing wrong?
>>
>> You're not doing anything wrong, Gnus doesn't display all headers by
>> default; what is shown is determined by the value of
>> `gnus-visible-headers'. The "t" key displays all headers, which is why
>> you see it there. If you want to always see it, you can do something
>> like:
>>
>> (setq gnus-visible-headers
>>       (concat "^User-Agent:\\|" gnus-visible-headers))
>
> your email [1] to list contains user-agent: from,
> subject, date, user-agent. i would prefer to display
> user-agent for all my emails sent to this list
> and everybody.

Sorry, I misunderstood the issue. If you're seeing the header on
messages in your Sent folder, then it seems like the problem must be
somewhere between your machine and the list server -- I'm not sure
there's much you can do locally.