How to get the current column regardless of the content of the current l

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: How to get the current column regardless of the content of the current line?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 14:22:49 -0500

Table of Contents
_________________

1. The context
2. The question
3. The current workaround
4. Additional information

1 The context
=============

  I'm aware that `current-column' returns the column of the cursor
  position. See two minimal working examples below.

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  | 6
  `----

  Sometimes, `current-column' considers one character as if it were
  two. In the minimal working example below, you can see that the line
  contains `你' (U+4F60) 3 times and `current-column' returns 6 when it
  is at the end of the line.

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  | 6
  `----

  In the minimal working example below, you can see that even though the
  line contains two characters, `current-column' returns `3'. This
  happens because, as shown in the previous example, `你' is counted as
  two characters by `current-column'.

  ,----
  `----

  ,----
  | 3
  `----

2 The question
==============

  Which function could I use to obtain the column of the current
  position that would work for any line regardless of its content?

3 The current workaround
========================

  I have written the following function to get the results that I
  expect. However, I decided to open this thread just in case there's
  another (preferably, shorter or built-in) function that any of you
  might know.

  ,----
  | (defun my/current-column ()
  |   (save-excursion
  |     ;; Save the current point
  |     (let ((orig (point))
  |           (counter 0))
  |       (beginning-of-line)
  |       ;; Count the number of characters from the beginning of the line
  |       ;; to the previously stored point
  |       (while (and (<= (point) orig)
  |                   (not (eobp)))
  |         (setq counter (1+ counter))
  |         (forward-char))
  |       counter)))
  `----

  The following code blocks contains minimal working examples that show
  the results of this function.

  ,----
  `----

  ,----