Re: printing

From: tomas
Subject: Re: printing
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:29:51 +0100

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 11:26:39PM +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
>
> > I added this to my init.el file:
> >
> > ;;printer
> > (setq lpr-switches
> >       (append '("-P" "HP_Officejet_J4680_All-in-One"
> >                 "-o" "sides=two-sided-long-edge"
> >                 "-o" "number-up=2")
> >               lpr-switches))
> >

> > But still it does not find my printer.
> >
> > Where is my mistake?
> > The two lines after the printer I am not sure if they are right as well,
> > but probably that has nothing to do with the printer itself.
>
> Does the lpr command print outside of Emacs?

This is the first I'd try, yes. In a console, do

  lpq -a

This should show you all the printer queues your
system thinks it has. The printer queue you mention
above ("HP_Officejet_J4680_All-in-One") should show
up in the list.

Then try

  lpr -P HP_Officejet_J4680_All-in-One <some filename>

where <some filename> is the name of some existing (text
or Postscript or PDF) file and see what it happens.

Once you have that running, the Emacs part should be
easy.

Have you printed anything with your computer (outside
of Emacs) yet? How have you done it?

Cheers