Re: printing

From: tomas
Subject: Re: printing
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:09:36 +0100

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 12:31:25PM +0000, Gottfried wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My operating system in GNU Guix, it's not a normal linux distro.
>
> > Does the lpr command print outside of Emacs?
>
> I am not sure what you mean and how to do it.
>
> I have cups installed.

There is a compatibility package providing the command `lpr' for
cups. Under Debian, it is called cups-bsd. I don't know how to
find something equivalent under Guix, but the idea is to search
for a package providing an executable named lpr and somehow linked
to cups.

> I never printed with the terminal, so I don't know.
> I tried it briefly with:
> sudo cat my-file-to-print.txt > /dev/lp
>
> but it didn't work.

Those were the times :)

You have to find an executable named lpr which goes with your cups.

> basically my printer is working with cups installed,
> and I even managed to print from emacs with my browser by that:

These days the operating system is just a driver for the browser,
it seems ;-)

Cheers