Re: Problems positioning and sizing Emacs frames

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Problems positioning and sizing Emacs frames
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:48:35 +0800

Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> writes:

> I fear Emacs could:  by simply not  providing coordinates  to the window
> manager, thus forcing the latter to make them up itself.

All windows have parent relative coordinates under X, and when you
specify the `top' or `left' parameters, the "user-specified position"
hint is set which politely asks the window manager to place the window
where Emacs asked it to be.

The window manager is always able to ignore those hints.  Many window
managers do just that.

> But this is a MINOR point anyway, I could even live with that.  The main
> point was that Emacs  or my way of setting it up  caused the window size
> and position  not to be dealt with  the way I wanted.   It could well be
> that it's my set-up which forced Emacs  to pass wrong information to the
> window manager,  but currently I don't see what's wrong and am therefore
> asking the combined wisdom of this list.

Did you set `frame-resize-pixelwise' to t?