Re: saving window configurations in register

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: saving window configurations in register
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 19:50:56 +0300

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2022-12-25 17:56]:
> I want that Emacs starts with the frame/window configuration I saved
> before.  e.g. the whole screen is divided into two buffers side by
> side with 2 different files open.

Good idea.

I recommend that you read in Emacs Manual following section:

(info "(emacs) Saving Emacs Sessions")

You may simply evaluate the above line in Emacs to get quicker to it.

> How to do that?

There are several ways, and by using the built-in option, you simply
do:

M-x desktop-save

to save buffers, and window configuration, and:

M-x desktop-read

to read the configuration back into Emacs.

Please read in the Info Manual how to enable the option upon startup.

> C-x r w r a (a as register a) I tried, but it does not save it.

I think it is only:

C-x r w REGISTER -- to insert window configuration into register.

there is no "r" after "r w" that I know.

And to restore it, it is:

C-x r j

> Because when I open emacs again, nothing is saved in my registers

Registers are not automatically saved when you exit Emacs. That means the state
of window configuration will be deleted from memory when Emacs exits.

Package that could help with persistent state over sessions may be also
following:

session - MELPA:
https://melpa.org/#/session

--