Re: Problem starting up ERC session with GNU/Emacs 30

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: Problem starting up ERC session with GNU/Emacs 30
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 21:51:37 -0800

Hi Lele,

Lele Gaifax <lele@metapensiero.it> writes:

> today I tried to update to current master (48db8b68a8) of GNU/Emacs, and
> everything seems working with the exception of the ERC session: although
> the connection is established, I receive the following error, multiple
> times:
>
>   error in process filter: erc-get-buffer-create: Wrong type argument:
> erc-networks--id, nil
>   error in process filter: Wrong type argument: erc-networks--id, nil
>
> and the "channel" buffers are not present.

Sorry about that. Since this also affects Emacs 29, I've gone ahead and
opened a ticket for it [1]. Please direct any further discussion to that
thread (60331@debbugs.gnu.org).

> I connect to Libera.Chat thru a ZNC bouncer with this snippet
>
>   (require 'erc)
>
> [...]
>       (message "... credentials not found in ~/.netrc!")))
>
> As said, even if I receive a deprecation notice about netrc-parse (I
> will try to replace that with auth-source-netrc-parse as time permit),

BTW, ERC now features better auth-source integration. See

  (info "(erc) auth-source")

if you're interested.

> the connection is established and the "my.znc.server:7777" buffer
> contains the welcome message.
>
> Any hint on what I should rectify in my configuration?
>
> Thanks in advance and happy xmas,
> ciao, lele.

Thanks for the helpful config. When you get a chance, please apply the
patch in the bug report and see if you can join some channels.

Thanks,
J.P.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60331