RE: [External] : Re: Emacs 30.0 warning from `cl-pushnew' and `memql'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Emacs 30.0 warning from `cl-pushnew' and `memql'
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:57:23 +0000

> > I think the interpretation of the question "Could there be a better
> > default comparison function?", in the sense that `eql' is a bit nicer
> > than `eq' for specific value types, is valid, especially when
> > considering that `cl-pushnew' is often used for configuration stuff or
> > other purposes where speed is not crucial.
>
> I see. Well, that train has sailed (or something). Backward compat
> (especially with user's brains) and things.

I think that's the wrong way to think about this.
The default for `cl-pushnew' should be `eql'
because the default for CL `pushnew' is `eql'.
End of story.

If a better default predicate exists for Elisp
then Elisp should add its own `pushnew', using
that better predicate as default.  It shouldn't
substitute that predicate as the default of
`cl-pushnew'.