Re: [External] : Re: Emacs 30.0 warning from `cl-pushnew' and `memql'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Emacs 30.0 warning from `cl-pushnew' and `memql'
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 19:08:58 -0500

>> > But "very frequent", really?  Any evidence that
>> > that's been the case for the many users of CL
>                                                ^^
>                                         Common Lisp
>> > `case' since the mid-80s?
>>
>> The only "evidence" I have the number of such errors
>> I've fixed over the years in other people's ELisp code.
>
> Which isn't an indication of such for _CL_ `case',
> i.e., in the code of _Common Lisp_ users.

AFAIK this is an Emacs discussion group, so yes, I'm talking about
ELisp, and I used these errors I've corrected over the years as
"objective evidence" that, at least for some coders, the `pcase` syntax
is more intuitive than the `cl-case` syntax (which is also the syntax of
`case` in Common Lisp).

So far I haven't seen anyone show any kind of "objective evidence" that
the `cl-case` syntax is easier to learn or use.  Just unsubstantiated
statements that it's simpler as if it were just obvious.  Obviously it's
objectively more concise.  But the argument in favor of `cl-case` has
never been about concision, AFAICT, always about some notion of being
easier to use.  AFAICT its "simplicity" is just the fact that it's a lot
more restrictive, so you can get the same simplicity by resisting the
urge to use the extra features of `pcase`, without having to learn
another syntax.

        Stefan