Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) declaration?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) declaration?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 09:21:32 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2023-01-08 09:07]:
> > And I expect not to see it.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> The doc string is wrong: the default is to show all commands.  If you
> want to see only those relevant to MODES, either use M-X (upper-case
> X) or customize read-extended-command-predicate's value to be the
> function command-completion-default-include-p.

Now we know that there is some inconsistency, thanks for confirming
it.

For this function:

(defun my-function ()
  (interactive nil '(text-mode mail-mode))
  (message "Hello"))

major-mode ➜ mail-mode

My default was:
(setq read-extended-command-predicate nil)

- I can see 90 possible completions with M-X in mail-mode, WITHOUT `my-function'

- I can see 9819 possible completions with M-x in mail-mode, WITH `my-function'

when I turn it on:

(setq read-extended-command-predicate 'command-completion-default-include-p)

- I can see 90 possible completions with M-X in mail-mode, WITHOUT `my-function'

- I can see 8777 possible completions with M-x in mail-mode, WITHOUT
`my-function'

Which means that my function cannot be found with recommended
settings in mail-mode, so there must be more inconsistencies.

I have filed the above as bug, it is best to continue discussion as
bug.

But in the bug there shall be wording "I can see 8777" just as in
here, there was mistake.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns