Unexpected fill-paragraph behaviour in message-mode

From: Ryan Kavanagh
Subject: Unexpected fill-paragraph behaviour in message-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:11:32 -0500

Hi,

I am encountering unexpected behaviour when trying to fill paragraphs in
message-mode. In particular, fill-paragraph joins paragraphs (despite
separating new lines) or inserts unwanted tabs. How can I make
fill-paragraph behave as in other text modes?

Below is a small working example for emacs 28.2 that works when loaded
with `emacs -Q`.

Thanks,
Ryan

---------------------------------
Bcc:
Subject: Weird fill-paragraph behaviour
Emacs has weird wrapping behaviour in message mode. To reproduce,
first (M-x message-mode).

Filling this long line (M-q anywhere on it) joins it with the following
indented text, which it should not because there is an empty line marking the
end of this paragraph:

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
    Sed quis iaculis erat, at placerat ligula.

Moreover, if I have a long line in a paragraph following indented
text, then attempting to fill it (M-q) causes emacs to insert indents.
Indeed, place your cursor anywhere on the following line, and then hit M-q
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris a massa
pulvinar, lobortis massa at, viverra massa. Suspendisse fringilla malesuada
erat. Curabitur eu dui lorem. Aenean tincidunt, leo eget tincidunt tincidunt,
urna leo mattis eros, in vestibulum mi purus in nibh. Fusce sem elit, vulputate
ut tristique a, ornare vitae mi. Quisque sed turpis in metus facilisis mollis
et sed augue. Nam vel efficitur erat, id maximus eros. Vestibulum interdum nisl
id suscipit sagittis.