Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 %

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 % faster than natively compiled Elisp
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 08:10:38 +0100

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> If you want to load "the most efficient option available",
> then just don't specify any extension, and Emacs will load
> the `.el`, `.elc`, or `.eln` file according to what
> it finds.

I'm sure happy I read this because it made me realize despite
the mass-native compile described I still loaded the
.elc files!

Also, this makes it easier to manage, because then one don't
have to bother with paths, just `provide' every file, this can
be automated like this

(defun provide-file (&optional file)
  (interactive "fFile: ")
  (or file (setq file (buffer-file-name)))
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (let*((name (file-name-base file))
        (prov (concat "\n(provide '" name ")\n") ))
    (unless (re-search-forward prov (point-max) t)
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert prov)
      (save-buffer) )))

and then `load' without extension.

Man, is Emacs fast or what nowadays! Huge improvement to the
interactive feel this way ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal