the GLIMPs [GIMP Lisps] (was: Re: Lookarounds and recursion in Emacs reg

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: the GLIMPs [GIMP Lisps] (was: Re: Lookarounds and recursion in Emacs regexes)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:40:13 +0100

tomas wrote:

> Actually a Scheme [0]. And actually, it's still in, besides
> Python, Perl and Tcl [1]. Of course, I do prefer script-fu.
> Although somewhat proficient, I never learnt to love Python.

Everyone says that ... my COMP-HIST automation [1] indicate
that this is about GIMP?

As Python (Gimp-Python) is now the main (only?) extension
language for GIMP - previously SIOD, TinyScheme, and
Script-Fu.

<incal> ,, hist Scheme, Perl, Tcl, SIOD, Python, TinyScheme, Script-Fu
  <sth> Scheme 1975 lexical Lisp. MIT, Guy Steele and Gerald Sussman [MacLisp]
  <sth> Perl 1987 Unix scripting language, Larry Wall
  <sth> Tcl 1988 ("tickle") interpreted, compact programming language
  <sth> SIOD 1988 Scheme In One Defun/Day, interpreted extension language
  <sth> Python 1991 interpreted OO. significant whitespace. name from UK show
  <sth> TinyScheme interpreted extension language, e.g. previously for GIMP
  <sth> Script-Fu 1998 GIMP extention language based on TinyScheme

[ Anyone knows when TinyScheme came? doesn't say here, or am
  I blind? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TinyScheme ]

> I'm nearly certain it was derived from SIOD; the Wikipedia
> below says it's Tiny Scheme. Dunno which one is right.

Tomás, you are almost always right. Why don't you write
a book/booklet on computer history? If you do, I can edit it
in very neat LaTeX with diagrams and lists and stuff.
Including the last list, what is it called, the index?
But without the pretentious introduction (yuk).

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#sth
    https://dataswamp.org/~incal/sth/scripts/hist
    https://dataswamp.org/~incal/COMP-HIST

--