Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 09:31:32 +0200

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 08:12:55AM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2023-04-14, at 18:11, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > Anyway: my employers so far have decided that they can trust
> > my judgement wrt data security, thanks $DEITY.
>
> That's of course a pleasant experience, but I still think this
> discussion is worthwhile.

For sure, and I am glad for that. Still, it's a bit jarring to me
what people are willing to accept without complaints because it
comes from $EMPLOYER. Did it come from the state, they'd all be
yelling dictatorship (with a reason). Why does an employer get a
free pass on that?

I mean: sometimes you have no choice if you want to go buy bread,
but rationalising that behaviour goes too far for my taste.

> Also, I've seen e.g. reckless developers enamored by ChatGPT and
> similar, LLM-based tools, happily providing company information to
> them...

Yes: trust in your employees is an investment: as an employer you
have to put resources into education and into building a trust
relationship. But it pays off handsomely.

If, as an employer,  you insist into treating your employees as a
disposable resource, you'll get every data leak you deserve.

Cheers