Re: Emacs will show the scratch window instead of the tex document windo

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Emacs will show the scratch window instead of the tex document window when I double click on a tex document to open it.
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 13:33:34 +0200

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 02:51:43PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 2:11 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

[...]

> > So it's GNOME, I see. Sorry to say that I lost track of GNOME years
> > ago, so I'm not that much of an expert...
>
> So, what is your favorite desktop environment? What are you currently using?

I'm a bit exotic. No desktop environment, just a window manager
(fvwm2). I was actually quite a fan of GNOME in the early 2000s,
but by about 2008 or so it started becoming too complex for my
taste. After a short dabbling in XFCE I decided a desktop environment
is too limiting for me and I went back to a simple WM; first it
was Awesome, then (full circle) fvwm2.

I have to do more things myself, but then I can do more things
myself, and I appreciate that :-)

> > > A very strange thing is that if I double-click on a very simple tex
> > > file, this issue does not occur, as shown in the attached screenshot:
> >
> > This is strange indeed. I guess that there is a context menu
> > (perhaps right-clicking on the file) which offers you "open
> > with..." or similar. What happens then?
>
> The default application has been set to Emacs, as shown in the attachment.

Hmmm. I see. Any chance finding out how Emacs is really invoked
by your desktop environment?

What happens if you open a terminal and just enter

  emacs <your-file-here>

(substituting <your-file-here> by the real file path of your
problematic file, of course)

Cheers