Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 00:15:14 +0200

tomas wrote:

>> maybe show us some simplest implementation "hello world" [...]
>
> (defun hello-world ()
>   (message "Hello, World"))
>
> Happy now?

No, since that should just execute sequentially and monopolize
the Emacs process if I am correct?

Also, if we can have threads one should go thro one's Elisp
and think what computing can be decoupled that way. Maybe I'm
a narrow-minded Elisp programmer, but I think at least for my
Elisp, there are not a lot that would benefit from that kind
of decoupling. But I might be wrong.

Also, I don't know if this can be done more under the hood so
that and could have `let-thread', i.e. a `let' (not `let*')
that is parallel.

But again for practical purposes, for all background data
crunching one would typically rely on the underlying Unix.
And in Emacs we already have the idle timer. So between that
Unix crunching (that has nothing to do with editing) and the
Emacs idle timer, it would be interesting to see what "target
audience" there is for threads in Emacs.

What scheduler is employed BTW or are you supposed to
synchronize manually? If so, or both of them actually, I'm
even more interested in finding out what kind of computing is
benefitted from this?

AI, maybe?

--
underground experts united