use-package :after ??

From: David Masterson
Subject: use-package :after ??
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 17:05:57 -0700

Didn't see this post, so ...

This might be a documentation problem...

I'm not sure I understand ":after" (and a few other related things) in
use-package.  The info docs talk about it ensuring that the current
package is loaded after the other listed packages, but it's not quite
explicit (to me) about what that means.  I interpret it in two possible
ways:

1. If any of the listed packages are not loaded currently, then the
current package will not be loaded. Period.
2. #1 + "magic" will be done to ensure that, once the listed packages
are loaded, the current package will be (auto?) loaded.

If #1 is correct, I do not know how the current package will ever be
loaded if ":after" fails.  If #2 is correct, I do not know what the
"magic" could be to safely do this.

My goal is to organwize my .emacs loading of 25+ packages to only load if
needed.  That means (almost) all packages are deferred at startup and
will load itself and subpackages (minor modes, etc.) when I try to call
the package.  This is what I hoped :after was for.

Can someone advise on the proper use of ":after" and how to get
appropriate subpackages to also load when the main package is loaded.
For instance:

(use-package org-ac :after org)
(use-package org)

--