Re: use-package :after ??

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: use-package :after ??
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 08:54:30 +0300

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:56:35 -0700
>
> >> For instance:
> >>
> >> (use-package org-ac :after org)
> >> (use-package org)
> >
> > What is unclear or not self-evident about the above?
>
> >From the macroexpand, I now understand some of the "magic" of autoload.
> I'm still missing how the :config (etc.) happens after the autoload to
> ensure that the package is configured.  That's important in helping me
> look for side-effects in the :config that didn't work with autoload
> (ie. I need :demand somewhere).

Would it help to say in the manual that :after's effect is the same or
similar to with-eval-after-load?

In general, when I'm told that :after causes the package FOO to be
loaded after another package, my interpretation is that at the end of
not what you understand, could you take another look at the
description of :after in the use-package manual and tell what is
missing there to convey this meaning?

Or are you saying that my interpretation is inaccurate or incorrect?

Thanks.