Re: Diff between customized value

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: Diff between customized value
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 20:55:16 +0800

On May 20, 2023, at 20:36, Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I compare a customized variable value with its original value?
> When I `describe-variable' I get "value" and "original value", sometimes
> it's hard to see the difference. Is there a quick way to diff them?
>

> --
> Daniel Fleischer

I think you are looking for “sexp diff”.  I recall seeing one on [search
engine], but it wasn’t feature complete.  Maybe you will have better luck this
time.

For completeness, here’s how you access the standard value programmatically:

    (customize--standard-value 'var-name)

Or take a look at the implementation of this function: it’s just `eval'’ing the
sexp of one of the symbol’s properties.

--
Best,

RY