Re: dbus-register-method and introspection

From: Rahguzar
Subject: Re: dbus-register-method and introspection
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 18:41:15 +0200

Hi Michael,
 Thanks for the reply.

> The dbus-introspect-* methods work over the
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" interface. You must provide an own
> implementation for this with your "org.freedesktop.TextEditor" service,
> if you want to see the introspection data.
>
> Most existing D-Bus services provide an own file with that data, see
> directory /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces (on my Fedora system, it could be
> somewhere else on your system). When this interface is called, they
> simply dump out the respective file.

I was somehow hoping that since the methods need to be registered, d-bus
had some magical way of determining at least which methods a service
provided. That not being the case, is there some way of using the
information provided to `dbus-register-method` to provide a rudimentary
implementation of introspection methods?

> Best regards, Michael.

Thanks again,
Rahguzar