Incomplete and differing keyboard shortcuts with tmm-prompt, depending o

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Incomplete and differing keyboard shortcuts with tmm-prompt, depending on filetype
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 13:18:47 -0800

GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)

When I invoke tmm-prompt with a list of files as the menu argument, the keyboard shortcuts differ depending on the file extension of the buffer visited by the current window. If the file extension of the visited buffer is .el, there is an alphabetic keyboard shortcut for every item.

If the file extension is .c, .h or .txt, menu items are marked by numbers, up to the point where
all numbers are used and those following have no shortcut.

I am curious as to the reason. The function call invoking tmm-prompt has no optional arguments.
Example: (setq menu (append menu (list items)))

Thanks

--
Tim
thjmmj15@gmail.com