Re: making an emacs-29 tarball for testing latest changes on the branch

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: making an emacs-29 tarball for testing latest changes on the branch
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:14:14 +0000

Hi. Eli.

    >> From: Andrés Ramírez <rrandresf@hotmail.com> Date: Tue, 30 May 2023
10:35:30 +0000

    >> $ ./make-dist --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog Version number is
29.0.91 Sanity
    >> checking (use --no-check to disable this)...  The following .el files
have no corresponding
    >> .elc files: lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el Failed
checks $ ./make-dist
    >> --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog --no-check Version number is
29.0.91 Creating staging
    >> directory: 'make-dist.tmp.41366' ./make-dist: line 397:
make-dist.tmp.41366/MANIFEST: No such
    >> file or directory $ ./make-dist --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog
--no-check Version
    >> number is 29.0.91 Creating staging directory: 'make-dist.tmp.41922'
Creating top directory:
    >> 'make-dist.tmp.41922/emacs-29.0.91' Creating subdirectories mkdir:
missing operand Try 'mkdir
    >> --help' for more information.  Cleaning up the staging directory $
--8<---------------cut
    >> here---------------end--------------->8---
    >>
    >> when ,---- [ ] | ./make-dist: line 397: make-dist.tmp.41366/MANIFEST: No
such file or
    >> directory `----
    >>
    >> I did touch MANIFEST
    >>
    >> Then I got the last error message.
    >>
    >> What I am missing for making the tarball?

    Eli> You are missing the detailed instructions in admin/make-tarball.txt.
(Those instructions
    Eli> are for those who actually prepare the pretest/release tarballs, so
they include stuff you
    Eli> don't need for your case, but knowing which parts are needed and which
aren't isn't
    Eli> trivial.)

    Eli> In your case, this part is relevant:

    Eli>     For Emacs 28 and later, as long as --with-native-compilation is
not the default, the
    Eli> tree needs to be configured with native-compilation enabled, to ensure
all the pertinent
    Eli> *.elc files will end up in the tarball.  Otherwise, the *.eln files
might not build
    Eli> correctly on the user's system.

    Eli>       ./autogen.sh ./configure --with-native-compilation && make

After trying It. Same error happened. So I think probably the only
option is doing the full compilation on the SBC.

    Eli> The MANIFEST thing is because this script is supposed to be run from a
Git repository, and
    Eli> you didn't.

I see now MANIFEST is on .gitignore.

    Eli> There are other issues with what you are trying to do, for example
version 29.0.91 is
    Eli> incorrect (that's the version of the last pretest, not of the Emacs
you are building).

Sure. Package manager could include the hash commit on the description
when needed. But that is just a workaround.

    Eli> Bottom line: you are doing something users aren't supposed to do
without knowing very well
    Eli> what they are doing and how to do it.  So don't be surprised you face
an uphill battle...

Thanks. Eli

Best Regards