Re: Changing foreground colours for outline-minor-mode

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Changing foreground colours for outline-minor-mode
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:53:39 +0700

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 at 19:21, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> Having changed outline-regexp to accept ";;; H1" ";;; H2", ... as outline
> headers,
> I also want to change the foreground colours at the different heading levels.
>
> (defvar hglevels
>   '( (";;; H1" . 1) (";;; H2" . 2) (";;; H3" . 3) (";;; H4" . 4)
>      (";;; H5" . 5) (";;; H6" . 6) (";;; H7" . 7) (";;; H8" . 8) ))
>
> (setq outline-heading-alist hglevels)
>
> But I do not see the foreground colours taking effect.

Have you customized the outline-minor-mode-highlight variable? Have
you tried each of its possible values? After changing the variable,
did you re-activate outline-minor-mode?

(Also, what you’re trying to do is misguided, and if you’re doing that
as a library as you’ve hinted in other messages, then you’re harming
your users. For one thing, your modified patterns are suitable only
for languages that treat a semicolon as a comment starter, such as
Lisp; if applied indiscriminately to other languages, users will not
be able to add headings without breaking their language’s syntax.)

(Also, when you think of a possible improvement to a question that
you’ve asked earlier but that hadn’t received a reply, you should post
your improvement as a reply to that past question, not as a new
separate thread. That helps people review all the things you’ve said
in previous versions of the question.)