Re: ;;;###autoload declarations

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: ;;;###autoload declarations
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 03:55:12 +0200

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> Would you see benefits in using a loaddefs file for those writing their own
> minor modes and customisation files ?  Autoloading could be useful if things
> could be made easier to set up.

Not really, unless you have tons of such stuff and want to avoid to load
all of it.  Even then, explicit `require' calls or manually added
`autoload' calls may be better/simpler.

Keep in mind that the only thing you get is that you avoid that some
files are loaded into memory in sessions that don't need them.  If you
are the only user of this stuff this is not such a big win.  And the
disadvantage is that you have to remember to rebuild the loaddefs-file
after changing any of the affected files.

If you want to experiment in that direction, a better idea is probably
to build you own packages and install them with the package manager
using a local source (I never tried that myself, though).  Still, I
doubt it's worth the time until your goal is to share that stuff sooner
or later or learn something new.

Michael.