Re: Sub-libaries in a package and use-package ?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Sub-libaries in a package and use-package ?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 06:03:36 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> The 'async' package has 2 extra libraries (dired-async &
> smtpmail-async). I'm trying to figure out how to set these up with
> use-package, The documentation for use-package in chapter 3.1 says:
>
> ----
> But the ‘foo’ package might also contain a library named ‘foo-extra.el’.
> If that library is not loaded automatically, you will need a separate
> ‘use-package’ declaration to make sure that it is.
> ----
>
> It doesn't say anything else about this (CMIIAW), but this suggests to
> me that the following should work:
>
> (use-package async
>   :config (async-bytecomp-package-mode 1)
>   )
> (use-package dired-async
>   :config (dired-async-mode 1)
>   )
> (use-package smtpmail-async
>   :config (setq message-send-mail-function 'aync-smtpmail-send-it)
>   )
>
> But the following error when I start Emacs:
>
> Error (use-package): Failed to install dired-async: Package
>   ‘dired-async-’ is unavailable
> Error (use-package): Failed to install smtpmail-async: Package
>   ‘smtpmail-async-’ is unavailable

Did you set `use-package-always-ensure' to a non-nil value?  It might be
that use-package is trying to install the package
{dired,stmpmail}-async, even though these are just libraries, part of
the async package.

Also, I don't think it is necessary to configure all of these
separately, at least in your case.